Tuesday, November 6, 2007

From Shabby to Shabby Chic

To the left is before and after pictures of chairs I purchased at an estate sale. You can click on the photo to see a larger image. The pretty shabby chic one is in my daughter's room at her desk. I purchased two matching chairs in 70's fabric for $20 each. I knew these chairs had potential and I loved that they had cast rollers on them, -which is great a at a kid's desk. They had a sturdy construction -which is also great in a kid's room.

I simply made a pattern of the chair upholstered pieces with white butcher paper (available at WalMart) and traced the contour of the chair and made a slip cover. I did have to remove the cushion which was upholstered into the chair bottom. I sewed a seperate cushion for the seat and even added extra padding inside the seat cushion for a more shabby/fluffy girl cushion. I used color-coordinated fabrics to tie it all together. I just loved the monkey print fabric. It gave it a whimsical look so it wasn't too formal.

I plan on slipcover-ing the other chair in a masculine, more tailored look for my son's room. Something with plaids I think. I'll share pictures when I have that one complete.

Take a look at my Flick'r Auction Photos. I added a few more pictures of my great finds!


Be Inspired! -Karol :0)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails