Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cheaper Magic


First of all I cannot begin this post without apologizing for my absence. I have been busy with work (substitute teaching), my art and life things. Plus, sometimes I have not felt inspired enough to write something inspiring for others. Ever get like that?

Well, I do want to share a discovery with you that might save you some money and/or a trip to the store when you weren't planning on going.

One of the difficult things about living in a rental home is that the walls are usually all painted neutral, even white. When you have kids, it's not easy to keep the walls clean. I will admit that sometimes I scuff the walls carrying things up and down my stairway. It just happens.


Marks like these below. Not sure how they get there. I have used the Magic Erasers and they work great on lighter colored walls for scuff marks.


I went to clean scuff marks one day and realized I did not have anymore magic erasers. So I decided to give my Bar Keeper's Friend a try. I used a wet wash cloth and a bit of BKF and it did a fantastic job!

Take for instance, hand rails in your stairway! Just daily use of holding on to them as you walk up and down the stairway can get them quite dirty.

A quick scrub with some BKF and the railing is like new again!



Another thing that can happen near the hand rail is scuff marks from nail polish. These are from a recent visit from my friend, Dawn. I told her I was going to post about her nail polish on my stairway wall! :0) She always has her nails all done up girly in pink and even little decals on them sometimes.

Look, they came right off with some light elbow grease and a little BKF on a damp cloth.


Be Inspired! -Karol :0)

10 comments:

CMB said...

Glad you are back...I haven't been around much either, lots going on but not anything worth writing about!

Stacey said...

Hi Karol! I have been wondering about you. I figured you were subbing alot. School's almost out here...we have about 2 weeks.

Great to know the BKF can be used that way. I always have some on hand.

We've missed your beautiful posts!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I just love Bar Keepers Friend. That stuff is just great for almost anything and it doesn't scratch things like cleanser does. It really is great for most painted items. Glad you tried it. Hugs, Marty

Vintagesquirrel said...

I've never heard of Bar Keeper's Friend. Is this something one can find at the supermarket? I do love those Majic Erasers!
-Michelle

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I am inspired-
I have way too many scuffs with little boys...you wrote this for me today-I am sure!

Peggy said...

Understand about being busy and all, but sure have missed you!

Thank you for sharing the BKF . . . with the boys around, I imagine this will come in handy!

Welcome back Karol!

sadie said...

I have visited, but thought you must be busy. :o)

I'm not sure if I can buy that product in the UK, I'll have to have a look. I have found the best thing to remove nail varnish from the bath tub is to use a little nail varnish remover. I was reluctant to try at first, thinking it might damage the surface, but it was fine. It's good to know that there is a product that can do the same for walls. I'm always getting nail varnish scuffs all over the place.

Must go. Have a lovely weekend xxx

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Karol, hello!
Your rental is kept lovely by you, and lucky that you are living inside!
Glad to see a post by you, and hope that all is well. We just got home from NC and Largo...seeing grandkids.
Florida was lovely, and it was divine to lounge by the pool!

SoBella Creations said...

I will have to try that trick. Thanks for sharing.

Kasey said...

That product is two thumbs up. I love it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails