Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Making A Simple Cozy Spot

This is the rental home I live in. If you look upstairs you can see a small balcony. That balcony is just outside my office area upstairs. There are two double doors that lead out to the balcony. It actually wraps around to the side of the top floor, but the front is covered by a roof.




I have always wanted to make it more cozy and inviting to use for guests as well as myself.

Last week I started working on some curtains to hang on my balcony. I wanted to be able to close them if I wanted to or have them open as well. I always feel like curtains make a space warm and cozy. I have always said curtains are like hugs. They just wrap around the room and make it feel so warm and inviting. There's something comforting and cozy to me about curtains blowing softly in the breeze.




I purchased 4 queen size flat white sheets from Wal Mart. Very inexpensive. I found plastic grommets at Hobby Lobby in packs of 4. You simply use the template included with the grommets and mark where you want them. Cut out the center as instructed and simply snap the plastic grommet sides together to make a sturdy hole for the sheet/curtain tops. I then used simple silver shower curtain hooks that I put in the grommet holes to be able to hook them on the nails I put in the back of the wooden beams on my balcony.




I originally wanted to use spring curtain rods and just grommets and slide the curtains, but I could not find spring rods long enough for the front part of my balcony that is 12 feet wide. I then went to Lowe's and brainstormed some ideas. I could not find dowel long enough to make my own curtain rods so I then decided to use plastic coated wire and eye hooks and string the wire around the three sides. After I added the grommets to the sheets I was so excited to just see how they would look so I grabbed some large nails and a hammer and spaced the nails evenly with the grommets on the sheets and hung them. I am pretty happy with it just as it is. I don't have to worry about the wind blowing the curtains and having to slide them back, etc. I don't have to worry about the wire getting loose and having to tighten it. For now I am going to use the nails.




I like the white bed sheets because I used the top wide hem of the sheet to be the bottom hem of the curtains. There was no sewing involved. They looked finished just as they are hanging now.


I grabbed two wicker chairs from my porch downstairs, added some pillows, a quilt, a small table and lantern with candle and I now have a cozy, welcoming spot to sit and read and relax. I think my guests will find it inviting as well.



When it's windy or I am not out on the balcony, I can tie them back with ribbon. I also purchased one king pillow case that matches so I can make some matching tie backs eventually.

One thing I wish I would not have done is used grommets. Grommets are so permanent. Clip rings could have given me the freedom to use more or less, depending on how I wanted to hang them, I could make them shorter if I needed. I could have also used the sheets for something else later if I wanted.

The great thing about using sheets for something like this is you can just throw them in the washing machine and wash them whenever they need a good cleaning and if for some reason they get stained or torn, you just have to purchase another inexpensive sheet.


To make it even more cozy, I added a nice rug, a magazine holder with some favorite magazines, and coffee cups for two and the paper (WSJ) for the perfect start to every morning.

Be Inspired! -Karol :0)

22 comments:

Kasey said...

Karol - great job. I think it looks very inviting.

Stacey said...

Oh how adorable! Your whole house!

You know,in Oklahoma if you used clip rings the curtains would blow away! Maybe there too. :)

Lynn said...

Man, I wish I had HALF the creativity and imagination you have! I guess I have some creativity.. but NO imagination! sigh. Can't wait to see this.

I hope you don't have to sub toward the end of the week.

I looked at the beach cam this morning and the water looks all yucky. : ( I am so sad because I've been checking the cams for about 6 weeks now and it has been SO gorgeous down there.. Crystal turquoise blue/green water for weeks and weeks. The bad weather we had over the weekend took its toll - it stirred up the gulf and made it dirty. At least the weather does seem on track to be mostly sunny while we are down, albeit on the COOL side! Oh well!

Hope to see you in another couple of days.
Love and Hugs!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

This looks like a perfect respite spot! Your home looks lovely, and you know that I think Seaside is a beautiful, charming place anyway!
What wonderful, clever ideas....you never cease to amaze me...and turn a little green with envy as well!!

corners of my life said...

Oh Karol - I would love to sit on that balcony and share cup of coffee with you. Your new space offers a truly “simple pleasure” that I know you will enjoy time and time again. I too put curtains on my deck to soften the look. It will have to wait for another month however as it was 30 degrees this morning! Thanks for the inspiration.
Mary

Maisy said...

OMG!!!!! It is perfect. I would never have thought about hanging curtains. you rock!
you are awesome!!!!

Sit A Spell said...

Love, love, love this. My Hubby has always wanted a veranda like that!

Enjoy...shell

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

How Dreamy! When we get our front porch done, I would love to do the curtain thing....it's so romantic! Love your spot!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Karol-
I am inspired! That looks so welcoming, and comfortable-and beautiful! I love, and adore it!!!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Great idea! Looks so inviting and relaxing!! I know you'll enjoy it often!

a.love said...

Your space is perfect.
It's a great reminder that a rental home doesn't need to be lived in like a rental home. I've recently decided to change that mindset I've had.
AWESOME idea to do the sheets for drapes.
I want to live on your balcony :)

Jenelle said...

I love it! Great job!

Peggy said...

Wonderful job Karol! It looks like a resort/retreat balcony . . . perfect! Looks like a wonderful place to sit with a cup of coffee and a book or chat with a friend!

Dawn said...

That looks beautiful! Like a tropical resort!

Tara said...

Looks great. Very inviting.

tam said...

Hi Karol!
Lovve it! What a terrific idea and you did such a great job! I think that looks like a very inviting and peaceful place to sit and enjoy! have a fun weekend~Tam!:D

~Pam~ said...

I love that, it is gorgeous!!

sadie said...

so simple, so perfect. I like to imagine you watching the sunset with a cold glass of pinot grigio in your hand. :O)

another superb idea from you xxx

p.s I was bold recently, and made a cover for an armchair! Lots of work,but I loved how it turned out. xxx

Anonymous said...

It's romantic. I love your balcony, thank you for the beautiful photography
Neill to Paris (French)

NEILL said...

That is romantic !
Neill to Paris (French)

Nora said...

Oh how cozy! I need a place like that where I can escape and relax. Enjoy it

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a cozy spot on the porch you have. I would love to visit you and sit in your wicker chairs and talk about what wonderful people we meet on blogs.
Brenda

Related Posts with Thumbnails