Friday, January 23, 2009

Household Tips 1-5


Ok, I have been very busy this week and I haven't had time to really "decorate" or share any home projects. I will say I do have a weekend project I'd like to share about soon and get some opinions on. For now, I thought I would just share some household tips that I know. These are not ones I have googled and copied. These are ones that I was either taught or discovered on my own. Feel free to comment and share any tips you may have.


1) To get small ink stains out of clothing, pretreat the ink spots with rubbing alcohol. My son has left pens in his pockets several times and they have made their way into the dryer and the pen ink has leaked all over an entire load of clothes. IN THE DRYER! Just pretreat the spots with rubbing alcohol and wash immediately. This should get rid of most ink spots. Unless the pen just leaked out mostly on one item, then just discard that item instead. You can also get the dried pen ink out of your dryer by using a paper towel and a dab of rubbing alcohol. Be sure to wipe out the dryer again with a damp cloth. P.S. if you have a teenager, buy the big bottle of rubbing alcohol! Oh, and check their pockets before you load the washer.



2) Rubbing alcohol also removes permanent marker from solid surfaces such as furniture and glass. Just test a small area first.



3) Greased lightening is the best laundry pre-treat ever! It is also a good cleaner. Just be sure to read the label for surfaces that it could damage such as aluminum, etc. It is great for a laundry pre-treat. It works on red Georgia clay in socks and clothing, tea, coffee (works great to clean coffee stains from your coffee pot and counter), blood, sweat/dirt from athletic clothing, and it will also clean floors real well when other cleaners cannot do the job. In fact, I buy it in the large refill jug and add a 1/4 cup to each load of my wash. I have used OxyClean in the past, but have never seen it live up to its claims. Especially linoleum floors with tiny crevices. Speaking of floors I use it to remove spots from my Suburban's beige carpet (I have two kids) and even in my home on the carpet. It will get rid of all types of stubborn stains in carpet.



4) Bar Keeper's Friend is fantastic for cleaning stainless steel sinks, also white sinks, and stoves. It works great for cleaning your pans under your electric stove top coils. It is non abrasive and does not contain bleach like some powder cleaners do.

Have you ever purchased one of those magic eraser sponge things? I really believe that it has Bar Keeper's Secret as the cleanser. Whenever I need to clean a mark on a painted wall I use a damp washcloth and a bit of Bar Keeper's Friend and lightly scrub the spot and it cleans right off!



5) To remove melted crayon from a car seat or carpet, first try to get as much of the crayon off the surface as possible. Next spray a small amount of DW-40 on the area and try to "lift" as much of the crayon as you can. The DW-40 will begin to dissolve/break down the crayon wax. Clean up as much of it as you can. Next to remove the oily DW-40, clean the area with a good grease-cutting dish washing liquid, such as Dawn. It really works!



I will share more tips in the future.



Be Inspired! -Karol :0)

9 comments:

tam said...

Great tips Karol! Thank You for that post! I just happen to have perm marker on my mirror from my sweet three year old granddaughter! Gonna give your tip a try!
Have a fantastic Friday girl!
~Smiles~Tam!

Kasey said...

I love the Bar Keeper's Friend. Works really really well. Thanks for all the tips.

Stacey said...

Thanks for the alcohol tips. I didn't know that.

I just talked about BKF last week. It's great.

sadie said...

I'm going to start calling you Martha!

Have a lovely weekend xxx

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Hi Karol...how goes it in Florida?
Indiana's snow is finally melting..a little anyway!
Love the handy household tips. This will be a good series to do.
Have a great weekend, if you go shell seeking, find one for me too!
Sigh.....life is just better in Florida, isn't it?

Lynn said...

Cool! I'm going to Wal-Mart for some Greased Lightning! I didn't know it did all that! : )
Been chilly, hasn't it.. even in Florida! But today has been great! I feel sorry for all those folks around the country who are buried under snow and ice and miserable temps! UGH!
Ya'll have a good weekend!
Love ya,
Lynn

trish said...

These are super tips! I did not know about the rubbing alcohol ideas. I will put that to good use immediately. Also, we too have red clay and my son's socks reflect that. I had not heard of greased lightening and will look into that as well. Thanks again!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Peggy said...

Great tips Karol! I'm going to have to try the rubbing alcohol today! One of my crafters, somehow, got stamping ink on my stairwell carpet?? I can't exactly figure that out?

I have used the Magic Eraser . . . awesome product!

Thanks again, for your tips!

SoBella Creations said...

Where do I find this Bar Keepers Friend?? I have a 2 1/2 year old who has made my walls into her art gallery.

Related Posts with Thumbnails